One of the goals of The Network is to connect young professionals socially and civically in the community, and one of the main ways we do that is through our Access to the Issues series. At these events, we cover topics from candidate forums, ballot previews and more. And for this first time since March, we met in-person with members also joining us virtually.
After holding a focus group with several members of The Network to understand what their perspective of the Chamber is, we came to realize that many YPs do not understand how the Chamber’s public publicy efforts function or how we make decisions when it comes to these issues. Since authenticity is an important value for YPs, we decided we needed a peek into the process.
At the event, attendees got to hear from four differnet panelists. All of them were young professionals and all serve on a public affairs committee for the Chamber. The committees represented were:
- Local Issues Task Force
- Legislative Policy Committee
- Voice of Business
- School Board Endorsement Task Force
Here’s what the panelists said they have learned from their time of service:
- The Chamber truly wants to input of YPs-it’s not just something they say to say
- Having a greater appreciation for volunteer leaders
- Reminded of the importance of of different perspectives
- Get involved and be confident
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions
We are always grateful for the opportunity to have a seat at the table and this program was a great reminder of that. To watch the full event, check out the video below: